The Cranfield Manufacturing Alumni Awards recognise special achievements and contributions of alumni and provide Cranfield with an opportunity to acknowledge and celebrate those who exemplify the values of Cranfield in the areas of manufacturing, materials and design. Alumni awards also allow Cranfield Manufacturing to showcase the impact of Cranfield globally and highlight the accomplishments of individuals who may serve as role models to other alumni, students and potential students.
In each calendar year, there shall usually be two awards:
- The Distinguished Manufacturing Alumnus/a of the Year Award
- The Excellence in Achievement Award for Recent Manufacturing Graduates
HOW TO NOMINATE
Nominations are open from Monday 3 September until 12 pm (GMT) Friday 28 September 2018. Nominations can be made here.
Awards Selection Criteria
The Distinguished Manufacturing Alumnus/a Award
The Distinguished Manufacturing Alumnus/a Award is Cranfield Manufacturing’s highest honour and recognises those individuals who have achieved significant success within their industry and sector while upholding the highest standards in business practise. In selecting the Distinguished Manufacturing Alumnus/a of the Year, the Initial Screening Panel and the Selection Panel will consider the following:
- Sustained professional achievement at the highest levels, preferably extending into the year of selection. Professional achievement may be viewed in terms of technology/engineering leadership, achieving transformational change in an organisation, significant and successful project management, contribution to company profitability, job creation as well as other factors.
- Significant impact on their industry and sector, beyond their own role and organisation.
- International visibility, influence/experience working across different geographic regions.
- Regarded as a role model for leadership.
- Innovation and creativity.
- Reducing negative impact of manufacturing on environment (sustainability)
- Other awards and recognitions.
- Previous relationship with Cranfield or benefit of potential relationship with Cranfield in the future.
Excellence in Achievement Award for Recent Manufacturing Graduates
The Excellence in Achievement Award for Recent Manufacturing Graduates recognises those who have made significant progress in their careers within ten years of graduating/studying from Cranfield. This award recognises those who have the potential to reach the highest levels of business success in the future. In selecting recipients of the Excellence in Achievement Award, the Selection Panels will consider the following:
- Technological/engineering leadership.
- National visibility
- Early career impact on sector/industry.
- Demonstrable achievement beyond individual position and company.
- International experience and impact.
- Role model behaviours/ highest standards of business practise.
- Relationship with Cranfield since graduation or potential benefit of future relationship.
Nominees must be an alumnus/a of Cranfield University, covering any Masters, PhD, Fellowship Programme and professional and executive development Programmes in manufacturing, materials and design. Members of the selection panel and members of the Cranfield Manufacturing Council will not be eligible for an award whilst serving on the panel or Council.
Nomination and Selection Process
- The Alumni Relations and Development Office shall seek nominations for each award via the alumni website, e-newsletters, social media sites and through special targeted messages to alumni, faculty, staff and students. The closing date for nominations will be indicated and no nominations will be considered after this time.
- The nominator must be an alumnus/a, current or former member of Cranfield Manufacturing staff, current student, member of the Industrial Advisory Board for the Education Programmes, Cranfield Manufacturing Council, Visiting Professors and Fellows or Honorary Degree recipient. If the nominator is from the same organisation as the nominee, a seconder from another organisation must support (a letter to support the nomination would be enough) the nomination as well.
- The nominator must complete the appropriate nomination form, which will be available from the Alumni Relations and Development Office and online.
- The nominator must provide a statement of no more than 800 words describing the achievements and contributions that make the nominee worthy of the award. These statements should refer directly to the specific criteria for each award.
- All nominations will be treated as confidential.
- For the Distinguished Alumnus Award and the Excellence in Achievement Award, the Initial Screening Panel will consist of the Director of Ma nufacturing Theme, Pro-Vice Chancellor of the School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing, and a member of Alumni Relations and Development office.
- The Chairperson of the Cranfield Manufacturing Council will chair the selection panel and will consult with the Council members who will serve as representatives of the entire alumni community to ensure that broader alumni viewpoints are taken in to consideration.
- The selection panel will reach agreement on the winners in each of the categories and award recipients will be notified. The Alumni Relations and Development Office will notify all nominators as to whether their nominee has been selected to receive an award. They will be invited to the Annual Alumni Day to receive the award.
- The selection process is confidential and the decisions of the selection panel are final. All unsuccessful nominations can be resubmitted for consideration in future years.
- The Selection Panel may introduce other categories of award.
- If there are no nominees considered of sufficient merit in any or all of the categories in any year, the Selection Panel may choose not to make an award.
- In the event of a successful nominee declining to accept the award in person at the Annual Alumni Day in May, the Selection Panel may choose, but is not obliged, to offer a further award.