Everyone understands that starting a new job, or working in a new field, is a learning exercise. Too often though, we obsess about the formal requirements of the job but overlook the “unspoken” rules which matter even more.
In this webinar, Gorick Ng, (bestselling author, Harvard MBA and careers adviser at Harvard College) explains how to master the unspoken rules of the workplace and avoid the accidents that send careers off track.
Based on more than 500 interviews, Gorick will highlight the critical issues that trip people up in new environments and shows how to accident proof your early career.
We will discuss:
- How to find out what organisations really value (and pay you for)
- How to spot conflicts early (and defuse them).
- How to read your manager, even when they are not explicit about what they need. How to discover the real organisation hierarchy (even in “non-hierarchical” organisations).
- Why you need to clarify expectations (and keep clarifying them) in every job.
- Preparation hacks you can build into your routine to be on top of meetings, schedules and projects.
- How to get vital feedback even if your manager does not want to provide it.
Programme & speakers
Gorick Ng is the bestselling author of The Unspoken Rules: Secrets to Starting Your Career Off Right. He is a career adviser at Harvard College, specialising in coaching first-generation, low-income students. He has previously worked in management consulting and investment banking, and in 2009 was named one of TIME Magazine’s top 25 future leaders from around the world.
Location & travel details
Who should attend
All alumni and students are welcome to attend